- The Teen Job Bank is designed to get students good, healthy, well-paying and safe jobs that they could not otherwise locate.
- It desires to send the smart, articulate, friendly, high-energy students out in the community to help build greater respect for Gen Z and for Souhegan High School.
- It offers the opportunity for students to meet with, learn from and gain respect for our neighbors and community members, while learning basic job skills. Further, it is based on the student’s availability and jobs are performed at mutual convenience.
Why the deduction of $2.00 per hour from the compensation of $12 per hour?
- The student earns $15/hour and then pays TJB $2.00/ hour to help us run the organization, pay for our basic costs including web site costs and provide the marketing to find the new, next jobs that then get worked by you. Tips over and above the hourly pay are 100% kept by the student-worker. There is no paid staff!
What does the student need to do besides the job/task?
- Respond to the employer immediately after being given the job opportunity, so that they know you exist and will be available to help him/her in the requested time frame.
- Be courteous, responsible, friendly, prompt, and “cheery”. Be a perfect employee! Present the image that your parents, teachers and the TJB look for as representatives of what we have all learned at home and school.
- Ask questions; understand the task, the tools, the process and procedure, and the finish. Clean up! Do more that they expect! “Under promise and over deliver!” Do all that and you and we will get call-backs and more lucrative work!
- Get to know the employer as best you can and allow them to get to know you! That is part of the program’s goal. The product of SHS is its students. Let’s sell that product to a community that doesn’t always understand how well our High School does its job and what a benefit SHS is to our towns.
- Keep us informed! Did it go well? Are they good folks to work for? Were there problems? Did you not get paid? Are you being invited back? Are you looking for more work? Etc.!
- Talk up the TJB. Ask them to refer us to their friends and neighbors. Word of mouth from happy customers is our best marketing tool. We always need new employers and jobs.
- Get your own good ideas to the TJB, so that we can continue to build and broaden our program. Provide a schedule of your availability frequently. Keep in touch!